COVID-19 Update 9/3/2020
COVID-19 Update 9/3/2020
Strawberry pre-plant operations have started, transplanting is just around the corner and fall will be here soon. The COVID-19 pandemic is still raging through our communities, and our thoughts and prayers are with the more than 2,000 North Carolinians, that have have lost their lives due to the disease. COVID-19 also has brought unique challenges to farming and markets, and they are far from over.
All this is reason enough for us to revive our COVID-19 updates to help you through the pandemic. We will post new updates around strawberries, farming, and COVID-19 every week on Thursday.
One highlight today is the interview with Jim Warenda, President of the NC Strawberry Association on the challenges that COVID-19 has brought to the farming community.
Around the Farm
- Listen to an interview with Jim Warenda on the unique challenges of the pandemic and long-standing disruption of markets and supply chains for farm products. Jim Warenda is a farmer and the President of the NC Strawberry Association: Please click to listen to the PodCast
- Updated NC State Extension Strawberry Pre-Plant and Fumigation information and webinar recording.
New This Week
- Letter from Commissioner Troxler clarifying agricultural workers, including Christmas tree workers, as critical infrastructure workers.
- RAFI-USA, Carolina Farm Stewardship Association, Feeding the Carolinas, the North Carolina Alliance for Health, MomsRising, and the North Carolina Rural Center will host Farms, Food, and Hunger: A Conversation with Candidates on September 9, 2020, 7–8:30 p.m. You can register at this link.
- Farming presents many challenges and so often, these challenges are out of a farmer’s control. Learn more about RAFI-USA’s Farmer Hotline. The Hotline can be reached at 866-586-6746, and is staffed Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m EST.
Agriculture Business qualifies for SBA Disaster Loans up to $150,000:
- SBA Make Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available to US Agricultural Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
- Agriculture Businesses Including Black Farmers Can Qualify for SBA Disaster Loans of up to 150,000
Daily COVID-19 Update as of 9/03/2020
- North Carolina (10:20 p.m. EST): 172,209 positive/ 2,803 deaths
- USA: (9:28 p.m. EST): 6,149,265 positive/ 186,785 deaths
- World (9:28 p.m. EST): 26,208,690 positive/ 867,219 deaths
Other Helpful Resources
This post was prepared by Rania Hassan and Mark Hoffmann